Broadcasting Forum - Commentators Thread Part 2
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Vital Football Comment
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Frozen
Pages (188): « First ... 185 186 187
Last »
Commentators Thread Part 2
[Locked]

08 February 2011 17:23 Post ID: #10227 - in reply to #10212
Extreme Veteran
The Difference - 8/2/2011 15:04

But neither Keys or Gray are set to be involved in talkSPORT's football coverage as it stands at the moment. They will be replacing Mike Parry and Mike Graham on the weekday 10am-1pm mid-morning show from Monday onwards, but that's all their talkSPORT work amounts to at the moment.

I would imagine Stan Collymore is pretty secure in his job as the station's primary co-commentator. He re-signed to a new deal in the summer (I believe it was another two year contract) and I am sure he and his advisors were smart enough to ensure certain assurances were written into his contract i.e. that he cannot be usurped on live games and his phone-in should another big name co-commentator come onto the market.

On Sam Matterface, he actually described his few dealings with Gray as being cordial and it wasn't as if he sold him up the river in that interview he did with talkSPORT's Drive Time show.

Cue scorn and sniffiness from the usual talkSPORT critics no doubt - but I actually see this as being a massively positive signing for the station and one that should bring a wave of new listeners to the station, at least in the short-term.

Should Keys and Gray settle at talkSPORT and prove successful on mid-mornings, I expect they will eventually succeed Alan Brazil and Ronnie Irani on the Sports Breakfast, which the former has been presenting for nearly 11 years now. They are big enough personalities to follow Big Al as the station's figureheads.

I think this was an obvious move but still a clever one from talkSPORT, yet again there's going to be a lot of press about the station and like The Difference says, a lot of new listeners on Monday.

It's also a pretty good deal for Keys and Gray, they're soiled goods now which means a lot of potential moves weren't available to them, talkSPORT are not the kind of station that seems to care about past reputations so it's a good fit.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 February 2011 17:58 Post ID: #10229 - in reply to #10227
Expert
Mali v Ivory Coast - Eurosport

Commentary from Tim Caple and Stewart Robson
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 18:37 Post ID: #10231 - in reply to #5545
Expert
Going back to Jon's point about ESPN. If they did put some money behind a bid, for 3 packages or more, and then signed the likes of Keys and Gray - you could suspect it could swing some subscribers of Sky Sports across to ESPN. People won't have to cancel the rest of their Sky package, just the Sky Sports part, and instead subscribe to ESPN. The price of Sky Sports Vs ESPN will also come into it.

If they also got more packages, you would suspect more channels to open. I am not saying people will switch solely for Keys and Gray, but looking across the internet, there was alot of support for them during that incident. Keys and Gray were apart of the team which revolutionized the Premier League from 1992 til now. If the packages are split 3 vs 3, some subscribers might jump across (depending on who has what packages). Of course, thats all ifs and buts.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 18:38 Post ID: #10232 - in reply to #5545
Expert
Steward Robson was on Sky Sports News earlier in the studio, analysing Jack Wilshire in a holding midfield role. Why he isn't used as a co-com I dont know.

He got to Mali quick from London.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 18:55 Post ID: #10233 - in reply to #10231
Elite Veteran
CardioCortez - 8/2/2011 18:37

Going back to Jon's point about ESPN. If they did put some money behind a bid, for 3 packages or more, and then signed the likes of Keys and Gray - you could suspect it could swing some subscribers of Sky Sports across to ESPN. People won't have to cancel the rest of their Sky package, just the Sky Sports part, and instead subscribe to ESPN. The price of Sky Sports Vs ESPN will also come into it.

If they also got more packages, you would suspect more channels to open. I am not saying people will switch solely for Keys and Gray, but looking across the internet, there was alot of support for them during that incident. Keys and Gray were apart of the team which revolutionized the Premier League from 1992 til now. If the packages are split 3 vs 3, some subscribers might jump across (depending on who has what packages). Of course, thats all ifs and buts.

Head -> wall.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 18:56 Post ID: #10234 - in reply to #10231
Extreme Veteran

People subscribe to Sky Sports for more than Keys and Gray. KTHNXBYE.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:07 Post ID: #10235 - in reply to #10234
Expert
ci-fi - 8/2/2011 18:56

Which is why I said 'People will not switch solely for Keys and Gray'.

Premier League football is the biggest draw for Sky Sports, and if ESPN got more of it, people could jump.

KTHNXBYE.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:13 Post ID: #10237 - in reply to #10233
Expert
Mark. - 8/2/2011 18:55

Head -> wall.

If you don't like what I post, then put me on ignore. Getting tired of your whiney quotes. I aint the only person who spoke about Gray and Keys here, Jon, Pako, to name a few.

Edited by CardioCortez 8/2/2011 19:26
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:28 Post ID: #10239 - in reply to #10235
Extreme Veteran
CardioCortez - 8/2/2011 19:07

ci-fi - 8/2/2011 18:56

Which is why I said 'People will not switch solely for Keys and Gray'.

Premier League football is the biggest draw for Sky Sports, and if ESPN got more of it, people could jump.

KTHNXBYE.

Well Keys and Gray have absolutely nothing to do with it. If ESPN get more packages, they might gain more subscribers. Whoever is presenting will have absolutely no bearing on that. If, say it levels out 3-3, people won't all of a sudden say "Well keys and Gray are on ESPN, I'll subscribe to that instead." Plus, the money Sky have won't allow ESPN anywhere near the top 2 packages.

What you have to remember is the vast, vast majority of people don't care who presents or commentates football on their television, as long as they are moderately capable and unbiased. Sure, some might think it's a bit of a shame that those two aren't on Sky, but it doesn't matter whether its David Jones, ben Shephard, keys or whoever. The fact you mention they have 'support from people on the internet' is a laughable argument.

Heck, most people I know switch on 5 minutes before kick off, and switch off straight as the final whistle goes.

People might not like Chiles on ITV, or Lineker on the BBC, but it won't stop them from watching the match still.

I think you've got in to your head that Keys and Gray are such an integral part of Sky, that people will follow them wherever, and thats not the case. Presenters/commentators/pundits are replacable, at the end of the day the viewer only really cares about whats on the pitch.

Edited by ci-fi 8/2/2011 19:30
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:32 Post ID: #10240 - in reply to #5545
Expert
Ben Shephard presenting coverage of Republic of Ireland v Wales in the Carling Nations Cup from The Aviva Stadium,Dublin on Sky Sports 3D/HD1/1 with Chris Coleman.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:37 Post ID: #10241 - in reply to #10240
Expert
Republic Of Ireland v Wales

Commentators: Rob Hawthorne and Ray Houghton
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:45 Post ID: #10242 - in reply to #5545
Elite Veteran

Al Jazeera Sport +3 - Matt Smith in the studio with Matt Holland & Frank Stapleton.
Commentary by George Hamilton & Ronnie Whelan
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:50 Post ID: #10244 - in reply to #10242
Elite Veteran
Homesdale - 8/2/2011 19:45

Al Jazeera Sport +3 -
Commentary by George Hamilton & Ronnie Whelan

As per RTE of course
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:55 Post ID: #10245 - in reply to #10242
Expert
let me ask this question,

would the football on sky sports be as good as it is today, if richard keys and andy gray were not on sky. because lets look at it, between the 2 of them they bulit the game up on the channel, talked about it on the monday nights.

i also thought, on sunday martin tyler missed andy next to him, but thats mine opinion.

suppose its a question we will never know, or we are about to find out.

i have to be honest, i am missing andy gray on sky, i was one who liked to listen to him, plus to me he made monday night football with richard keys.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 19:56 Post ID: #10246 - in reply to #10239
Expert
ci-fi - 8/2/2011 19:28

Well Keys and Gray have absolutely nothing to do with it. If ESPN get more packages, they might gain more subscribers. Whoever is presenting will have absolutely no bearing on that. If, say it levels out 3-3, people won't all of a sudden say "Well keys and Gray are on ESPN, I'll subscribe to that instead." Plus, the money Sky have won't allow ESPN anywhere near the top 2 packages.

What you have to remember is the vast, vast majority of people don't care who presents or commentates football on their television, as long as they are moderately capable and unbiased. Sure, some might think it's a bit of a shame that those two aren't on Sky, but it doesn't matter whether its David Jones, ben Shephard, keys or whoever. The fact you mention they have 'support from people on the internet' is a laughable argument.

Heck, most people I know switch on 5 minutes before kick off, and switch off straight as the final whistle goes.

People might not like Chiles on ITV, or Lineker on the BBC, but it won't stop them from watching the match still.

I think you've got in to your head that Keys and Gray are such an integral part of Sky, that people will follow them wherever, and thats not the case. Presenters/commentators/pundits are replacable, at the end of the day the viewer only really cares about whats on the pitch.

I agree, the presenting probably has nothing to do with it. Des Lynam said this in his article (link posted on here a few pages back), but he did think Andy Gray was a different matter.

And I don't think the fact people have posted support is a laughable matter, considering these are the people who subscribe and pay for Sky in the first place.

Keys and Gray AREN'T such an integral part of Sky, but they WERE such an integral part of their Premier League/Champions League coverage. People probably won't follow them, but the ratings on their new TalkSPORT will draw higher than the previous presenters of the same slot, even if just for the first day/week, meaning somebody will have followed their move, although not permanently.

Keys and Gray are gone, I understand that. Chamberlain/Jones are doing a brilliant job, I understand that. But why its being brought across as such a crime to talk about them, I don't understand that.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 20:08 Post ID: #10248 - in reply to #5545
Expert
By the way: IRE v WAL - Martin Tyler and Kevin Moran here on 3D
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 20:18 Post ID: #10250 - in reply to #5545
Token Yank
200 pages. Time to close Part 2 down and head over to Part 3. Last few pages have been a bit testy so lets keep this place civil.

http://www.broadcasting.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-vie...
Like post
Like this post
Pages (188): « First ... 185 186 187
Last »
Jump to forum: