Broadcasting Forum - Commentators Thread Part 2
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Frozen
Pages (188): « First
2 3 4 ... Last »
Commentators Thread Part 2
[Locked]

18 October 2010 21:35 Post ID: #5545
Expert
To make it easy-ish to find historical data we'll start a new thread every 200 pages

Carry on...This game is dreadful
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
18 October 2010 21:52 Post ID: #5546 - in reply to #5545
Expert
To continue with the MNF theme. Sky using a non-regular touchline reporter (like the non-regular co-com). After ?Pete Colley? at Stoke Vs Aston Villa on the last MNF. David Craig is touchline reporter this time around.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 21:56 Post ID: #5547 - in reply to #5545
Elite Veteran
Quote from the previous threat from Cardio regaring Andy Gray:

'He explained how Gallas WAS interfering with play when Shearer insisted he didn't (blocking the keepers view, going for the ball, and even slightly touching it (as shown on an angle BBC didn't use)). All backed up by the fact Keys told us Gallas has admitted to slightly touching the ball.

Shearer on the other hand told us of the rule for offside, then argued against it to prove Gallas wasn't interfering with play, despite the fact Gallas clearly made an attempt at the ball in an offside position.

Gray's analysis was much clearer and definately more insightful to what I saw on Saturday's show from Shearer. It does really make the point, would MOTD be better as just highlights? Does it need new pundits? At the moment, they aren't doing themselves many favours.'

In that case, Andy Gray was actually wrong in a lot of what he said. If Gallas did touch the ball then yes he would be interfering with play and thus offside but it seems unfair to blame Shearer for this as no one else has picked up on this so far.

For a player to be interfering with play then they have to touch the ball really. Certainly attempting to touch it in that situation is never interfering with play.

It could be interfering with an opponent but that requires the attacking player to have some sort of direct effect on the opponent. I don't think this was the case in the Gallas incident.

As I said I think Shearer deserves credit for providing an excellent and clear analysis overall.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 21:56 Post ID: #5548 - in reply to #5545
Regular
Interesting that Dan Mann was given tonight's game, although I guess it was a relatively low-key game for him and there are Champions League assignments for other commentators on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I still believe that Crocker is rated at least 5th in the unofficial pecking order, or even level with Leslie. If Sky only want Crocker to cover the SPL, why would they need to give him a permanent contract? And from Crocker's point of view, he had a good deal going, what with his STV, ITV and Sky work - a nice amount of variety and plenty of exposure for a terrestial audience. Why be tied in back in with Sky?? Unless, of course, he has been promised some decent Premier League matches in the coming months....
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 22:55 Post ID: #5551 - in reply to #5547
Expert
Readingfanatic - 18/10/2010 21:56

Quote from the previous threat from Cardio regaring Andy Gray:

'He explained how Gallas WAS interfering with play when Shearer insisted he didn't (blocking the keepers view, going for the ball, and even slightly touching it (as shown on an angle BBC didn't use)). All backed up by the fact Keys told us Gallas has admitted to slightly touching the ball.

Shearer on the other hand told us of the rule for offside, then argued against it to prove Gallas wasn't interfering with play, despite the fact Gallas clearly made an attempt at the ball in an offside position.

Gray's analysis was much clearer and definately more insightful to what I saw on Saturday's show from Shearer. It does really make the point, would MOTD be better as just highlights? Does it need new pundits? At the moment, they aren't doing themselves many favours.'

In that case, Andy Gray was actually wrong in a lot of what he said. If Gallas did touch the ball then yes he would be interfering with play and thus offside but it seems unfair to blame Shearer for this as no one else has picked up on this so far.

For a player to be interfering with play then they have to touch the ball really. Certainly attempting to touch it in that situation is never interfering with play.

It could be interfering with an opponent but that requires the attacking player to have some sort of direct effect on the opponent. I don't think this was the case in the Gallas incident.

As I said I think Shearer deserves credit for providing an excellent and clear analysis overall.

Shearer insisted Gallas had to interfere with an opponent to be offside. Gallas moves to the ball, Gallas attempts to (and does) touch the ball, Gallas interferes with the goal keeper. Gallas is active whilst in an offside position. Gallas was rightfully flagged, but it should have remained. It would be hard to argue with you without you also seeing Gray's analysis, but I still think Gray's analysis of this decision was better than what I saw on Saturday from Shearer. Like Gray also said, it's such a grey area, it needs clarifying.

Back to tonight.. Cardio's Table of Non-Regular Co-Coms:
1) Kevin Phillips
2) Dwight Yorke
Be interesting to see who joins next time.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 23:42 Post ID: #5557 - in reply to #5545
Token Yank
Is this the first time Sky have used an active player as a co-comm on a live PL game?

How did Mann do, by the way? I take from the recap it was another typical riveting game of football like Blackburn always play.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 23:45 Post ID: #5558 - in reply to #5545
Extreme Veteran
Very pleased that Mann did tonight's game. I've been saying for years that he has the quality to go all the way to number 1 and it's great he's now done his first live PL game.

I know it's a CL week but it would have been perfectly possible for one of the usual PL commentators to do tonight - in particular Parry.

Only saw a few minutes of the game but did see the sending off. I was surprised Mann did not say anything about the likelihood of a red card before the red card was actually shown. I would have expected him to say something like "surely that must be a red card" straight after the incident.

Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 00:26 Post ID: #5560 - in reply to #5545
Veteran
Mann might have been a bit cautious in predicting the colour of the cards tonight. During his last live match (Brighton v Bournemouth) he said "It's a red card..er it's a yellow card!" as a Bournemouth player was booked for an elbow. Nothing horrific but maybe on a more high profile game such as tonight he didn't want to commit himself like that again.
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 01:06 Post ID: #5561 - in reply to #5560
Token Yank
I've just listened to the highlights of Palmer/Francis on Arsenal vs. Birmingham and it's diabolical. My ears hurt from the shriek on the opening goal and Palmer just tends to talk a mile a minute on the chances. I'd "love" to watch the whole game to see what else I missed out on.
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 06:23 Post ID: #5562 - in reply to #5545
Veteran
Here is a peak at one of ESPN new commentators Dan Thomas who has recently relocated to the USA commentating on Malaga vs Real Madrid with Tommy Smyth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJEwTI64ls
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 07:29 Post ID: #5563 - in reply to #5545
Veteran
When Sky start putting all of their PL games in 3d they will need to find a way for the HD to do 3D aswell.
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 09:55 Post ID: #5564 - in reply to #5563
Veteran
ESPN International mid-week UEFA Champions league/Europa League

FC Spartak Moskva vs. Chelsea FC - Adrian Healey and Robbie Mustoe
Arsenal FC vs. FC Shakhtar Donetsk - Mark Donaldson and Shep Messing
Real Madrid CF vs. AC Milan - Dan Thomas and Janusz Michallik
AS Roma vs. FC Basel - Andrew Orsatti and Tommy Smyth

Manchester United FC vs. Bursaspor - Andrew Orsatti and Robbie Mustoe
Internazionale Milano vs. Tottenham Hotspur FC - Adrian Healey and Shep Messing
FC Barcelona vs. FC Kobenhavn - Dan Thomas and Janusz Michallik
Rangers FC vs. Valencia CF - Mark Donaldson and Tommy Smyth

Napoli vs. Liverpool FC - Adrian Healey and Robbie Mustoe
Besiktas Jk vs. FC Porto - Mark Donalson and Tommy Smyth
FC Salzburg vs. Juventus - Andrew Orsatti and Janusz Michallik
Atletico Madrid vs. Rosenborg Bk - Dan Thomas and Shaka Hislop
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 15:52 Post ID: #5565 - in reply to #5562
Token Yank
djpower - 18/10/2010 22:23

Here is a peak at one of ESPN new commentators Dan Thomas who has recently relocated to the USA commentating on Malaga vs Real Madrid with Tommy Smyth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GJEwTI64ls

Video has been removed.
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 16:38 Post ID: #5566 - in reply to #5565
Veteran
SSReporters - 20/10/2010 00:52
Video has been removed.

I'm getting it back up under a different account my upload speed not the best
Also looking forward to Mark Donalson commentating today sound like a similar story to when Derek Rae would of first come over to the US so I am hoping he is at a similar standard looks like they have demoted Steve Cangialosi its a shame they did not do the same with Shep Messing

Edited by djpower 19/10/2010 16:44
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 16:39 Post ID: #5567 - in reply to #5545
tonight's champs league comms:

Spartak Moscow v Chelsea co-comms don goodman
Ajax v Auxerre - Gary Weaver and Garry Birtles - off tube
Arsenal v Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayern Munich v CFR - Daniel Mann and Alan Mcinally - off tube
Braga v Partizan Belgrade - John Anderson and Barry Horne - off tube
Marseille v MSK Zilina - Tony Jones and Tony Gale - off tube
Real Madrid v AC Milan - Rob Palmer and Gerry Armstrong - off tube
Roma v Basle - Kevin Keatings and Terry Gibson - off tube
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 17:03 Post ID: #5570 - in reply to #5567
Expert
Richard Keys presenting coverage of Spartak Moscow v Chelsea and later Arsenal v Shaktar Donetsk on Sky Sports HD2/2 with Ruud Gullit,Jamie Redknapp and Alan Smith.

Edited by digiremote 19/10/2010 17:04
Like post
Like this post
19 October 2010 17:05 Post ID: #5571 - in reply to #5567
Veteran
Richard Keys presenting live coverage of Chelsea .VS. Spartak Moskow, and later, Arsenal .VS. Shaktar Donetsk on Sky Sports 1/HD1 with Ruud Gullit, Jamie Redknapp and Alan Smith.

Edited by kkirschy23 19/10/2010 17:08
Like post
Like this post
Pages (188): « First
2 3 4 ... Last »
Jump to forum: