Broadcasting Forum - Commentators Thread Part 2
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Frozen
Pages (188): « First ... 184 185 186
188 Last »
Commentators Thread Part 2
[Locked]

08 February 2011 14:27 Post ID: #10208 - in reply to #5545
Expert
Ben Shephard is in Dublin for the Nations Cup, will be be presenting the coverage?

"At the airport heading to dublin for the internationals tonight and tomorrow - anyone know a decent pub over there? "
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 February 2011 14:28 Post ID: #10209 - in reply to #5545
Richard Keys and Andy Gray are to return with ... wait for it ... TalkSport - so says Ben Smith of The Times on twitter
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 14:32 Post ID: #10210 - in reply to #5545
News confirmed on Media Guardian website. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...gray-talksport
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 14:52 Post ID: #10211 - in reply to #5545
Veteran
Matterface might be a bit worried if Gray becomes his co-commentator
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 15:04 Post ID: #10212 - in reply to #5545
Regular
But neither Keys or Gray are set to be involved in talkSPORT's football coverage as it stands at the moment. They will be replacing Mike Parry and Mike Graham on the weekday 10am-1pm mid-morning show from Monday onwards, but that's all their talkSPORT work amounts to at the moment.

I would imagine Stan Collymore is pretty secure in his job as the station's primary co-commentator. He re-signed to a new deal in the summer (I believe it was another two year contract) and I am sure he and his advisors were smart enough to ensure certain assurances were written into his contract i.e. that he cannot be usurped on live games and his phone-in should another big name co-commentator come onto the market.

On Sam Matterface, he actually described his few dealings with Gray as being cordial and it wasn't as if he sold him up the river in that interview he did with talkSPORT's Drive Time show.

Cue scorn and sniffiness from the usual talkSPORT critics no doubt - but I actually see this as being a massively positive signing for the station and one that should bring a wave of new listeners to the station, at least in the short-term.

Should Keys and Gray settle at talkSPORT and prove successful on mid-mornings, I expect they will eventually succeed Alan Brazil and Ronnie Irani on the Sports Breakfast, which the former has been presenting for nearly 11 years now. They are big enough personalities to follow Big Al as the station's figureheads.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 15:28 Post ID: #10213 - in reply to #10212
Expert
I don't know the ins and outs of Talksport's scheduling but I would have explored the idea of an hours show, 7pm on Mondays

Talksport may want to bid for Monday night PL commentary rights from 2013? Well actually, they might not, I'm just brainstorming ideas on a forum!
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 15:40 Post ID: #10214 - in reply to #10213
Expert
i dont know, me think , if ESPN renew and get more football in the next tv contract, both richard and andy could sign for espn, regardless if ray stubbs is doing a good job. i think the next tv contract could be very intresting, as espn have the funds to match sky, is just how far are each company are going to bid and go.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 15:56 Post ID: #10215 - in reply to #5545
Veteran
As far are ESPN are concerned though, would it be worth them signing Keys and Gray. Both would command hefty salaries you'd have thought (Gray in particular), but would they bring new subscribers to the channel who weren't tempted by Premier League football already?

Also, as far as the duo are concerned, you'd have thought they'd find it a bit strange not covering the biggest game(s) each week.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:01 Post ID: #10216 - in reply to #10213
Regular
The Exiled Wanderer - 8/2/2011 15:28

I don't know the ins and outs of Talksport's scheduling but I would have explored the idea of an hours show, 7pm on Mondays

Talksport may want to bid for Monday night PL commentary rights from 2013? Well actually, they might not, I'm just brainstorming ideas on a forum!

I'd be all in favour of that. When the Premier League radio rights come up for renewal in 2013, the first priority for talkSPORT should be to try to retain the Saturday 5.30pm and Sunday pre-3pm/Wednesday night packages they have at present, but if they are able to go in for a third package I think the Monday/Tuesday night package would be a good fit for them.

With them doing plenty of Champions League commentaries as well as having the potential to buy (non-exclusive) rights to games in the FA Cup, League Cup and the Europa League, they could credibly call themselves the home of midweek football and losing both the Tuesday and Wednesday night Premier League games would notably weaken 5 Live.

Add in the possibility of a radio version of Ford Monday Night Football - well, that would be an easy sell to both their listeners and their breakfast show sponsors.

Edited by The Difference 8/2/2011 16:03
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:06 Post ID: #10217 - in reply to #10216
Expert
who thinks espn can take sky all the way in bidding war for the football tv contracts.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:19 Post ID: #10218 - in reply to #10217
Expert
jonboy35 - 8/2/2011 16:06

who thinks espn can take sky all the way in bidding war for the football tv contracts.

If they wanted to, they could do so quite easily. But there's no point bidding £20 billion (OK I exaggerate) just to blow Sky out of the water, as ESPN has to be profitable in the long term.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:23 Post ID: #10219 - in reply to #10218
Expert
i think i might be right in saying this, but bbc scotland arnt showing celtic v rangers league cup final, if i am right, how can i watch it out of scotland.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:37 Post ID: #10220 - in reply to #10219
Expert
jonboy35 - 8/2/2011 16:23

i think i might be right in saying this, but bbc scotland arnt showing celtic v rangers league cup final, if i am right, how can i watch it out of scotland.

It will be on BBC Scotland (presumably BBC One Scotland)

If you have Sky, VM or Freesat you can tune into channels 971, 862 and 960 respectively

It will probably be on the red button and the BBC Sport website too

Edited by The Exiled Wanderer 8/2/2011 16:38
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:43 Post ID: #10221 - in reply to #10220
Expert
this for mark, am i right dundee about to be saved. thats good news for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee/9390813.stm
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 16:45 Post ID: #10223 - in reply to #10221
Expert
just out of intrest, how many scottish people are there on this forum site. there seems to a few of you. which is good, not having ago or a pop.
Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 17:14 Post ID: #10225 - in reply to #5545
New User
Former Sky Sports duo Richard Keys and Andy Gray have been hired by TalkSPORT to host a new daily show on the station

Click here to read the article

Like post
Like this post
08 February 2011 17:14 Post ID: #10226 - in reply to #5545
Token Yank
Just a reminder to everyone that this thread will close once we reach page 200 and a part 3 will be created.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (188): « First ... 184 185 186
188 Last »
Jump to forum: