Broadcasting Forum - Your LIVE Sporting Life
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Your LIVE Sporting Life
08 December 2010 21:56 Post ID: #7679
Thought it would be cool to have a thread for chatting about attending sporting events.

What sports have you seen live? Do you keep a list of matches you've been at? Grounds you've been to? Teams you've seen?

Do you have targets such as the 92 club or seeing every Test playing cricket nation?

How about first/best/worst live matches? Best/worst stadiums?

Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 December 2010 22:04 Post ID: #7682 - in reply to #7679
Guess I should start. I've seen football, cricket, tennis and cycling (just standing by the road whilst the tour de France whizzed by but I'm counting it.

For football I've been to Priestfied, The Valley, Wembley and White Hart Lane (lots of times). I've seen Spurs way more than anyone else with Man City, West Ham and Charlton the other teams I've seen more than once.

In tennis, been to Wimbledon regularly over the last few years and been lucky to see Federer, Nadal, Henman, Rusedski, Roddick, Hewitt, Serena, Venus, Clijsters and Hingis from the big names.

Just the one live cricket match at Canterbury, saw day 1 of a Kent v New Zealand tour match, Rob Key got a century.

Aim is to see much more, particulary cricket as really want to see England and would really like to get see some NFL and NBA now they are regularly in London.

Edited by shaunofthespurs 8/12/2010 22:05
Like post
Like this post
08 December 2010 22:12 Post ID: #7686 - in reply to #7682
Token Yank
I went to the San Francisco Giants vs. Atlanta Braves game at (then) Pac Bell Park in San Fran (grew up in California). Date was August 20, 2000 and the tickets were a family friend's gift considering I don't like baseball. The Giants lost 8-5.

I also attended the UNLV vs. Utah college football game in 2004 in Henderson, NV....and UNLV got trounced 28-10 as I sat on hot metal bleacher seats.

I've been to Qwest Field and KeyArena and seen Safeco Field filled up for a Seattle Mariners game but never attended a sporting match here.

I aim to travel to Europe and visit several soccer stadia, including the Allianz Arena in Germany, Old Trafford in Manchester, the New Wembley, and Nou Camp in Barca.
Like post
Like this post
08 December 2010 23:06 Post ID: #7690 - in reply to #7686
Expert
Football's my thing - apart from a Sheffield Sharks basketball match every other top flight/professional sports event I've been to has been a football match

Grounds visited - the Reebok (no shit!), Old Trafford, Eastlands, Anfield, the DW, Turf Moor, Goodison, Ewood Park, Spotland, Boundary Park, Upton Park, Villa Park, Victory Park, Bramall Lane and Hillsborough. All for Bolton games, except the last two where I got in to the odd game for free - the upsides of being a uni paper sports editor.

I'd love to do the 92, but it may be a few years, especially at the moment as I've no money, and students aren't allowed money it seems. A friend keeps nagging me to go to a Plymouth v Exeter derby!

Worst ground I've been to was easily Turf Moor. £35 for a ticket on a wooden seat, cramped concourse, not good for someone with claustrophobia, and took half an hour to get out of the car park.

Special mention to the Hillsborough presss lounge, who serve a cracking pre-match pie and chips
Like post
Like this post
09 December 2010 23:07 Post ID: #7719 - in reply to #7679
Elite Veteran
Football - I've been to 34 current league grounds (at last count) plus a few local non-league ones also, and visits to Wembley & the Millenium Stadium. I've also done Euro aways watching Man Utd in France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, & Czech Republic, plus Real Madrid v Osasuna a few months ago when I was over there for a weekend, which remains the best ground I've been to. I'd also love to do the 92, but finances and lack of time mean it's unlikely that'll ever happen.

My other sporting love is Cricket, mainly Lancashire plus a few internationals at Old Trafford (including Days 2 & 5 of the 2005 Ashes test), also when I was a student in Leeds, I lived 5 mins away from Headingley, so got down there a few times. When visiting my Uncle in Perth a few years ago, I also did a tour of the WACA ground, it was during the Australian winter though, so there were no games on.

I also watch Rugby, both Union & League, and have been to 6 Nations & Autumn Internationals at Twickenham & Cardiff, and have a weekend booked in Dublin for Ireland-England next year. I've also been to a GB-Aus Rugby League test at Wigan, plus a few Super League games at Warrington, Salford, Crusaders & Leeds.

I've also been to a baseball game in the US. My brother was working in Chicago for year as part of his Uni placement, his apartment was around the corner from Wrigley Field, so when I went to visit, we went to watch Chicago Cubs v Florida, the Cubs won 6-3 (I think!). I've started watching baseball quite a bit since I got NASN as part of the package when subscribing to Setanta (RIP), and now have ESPN America, so I want to go to another game when I next visit the US.
Like post
Like this post
12 December 2010 17:27 Post ID: #7817 - in reply to #7719
Expert
I've been to 50-60 league grounds, mainly seeing Bolton play. The best ground for facilities but not atmosphere is the Emirates, worst ground for facilities is Goodison Park but it has a good atmosphere. I've been to Wembley (old and new) and the Millenium Stadium

I've seen 4/5 test days at Old Trafford, I've been to one Ice Hockey game too
Like post
Like this post
13 December 2010 04:04 Post ID: #7850 - in reply to #7679
Extreme Veteran
The three most memorable stadiums I have been to are:

1) Los Angeles Colliseum - to watch LA Raiders v LA Rams in 1991. It was very rare for the two (then) LA teams to meet. I remember the names of every gold medal winner from the 1932 and 1984 Olympics are on plaques at the end of the stadium.

2) Melbourne Cricket Ground - to watch Australia v Sri Lanka in 1995. The view from the front row of the top tier of the Great Southern Stand is absolutely brilliant.

3) Nou Camp - to go round the museum in the late 1990s and then again a few years ago to watch Barcelona v Chelsea in the Champions League (NB. I am not a Chelsea fan but I have a connection through a friend). The view from the very top tier behind the goal is, I think, higher than I have ever been at any sporting event.

Other overseas stadiums I have been to:

1) Joe Robbie stadium (home of Miami Dolphins) to watch Florida Marlins baseball team on several occasions.

2) Old stadium in Baltimore (now demolished) to watch baseball game Baltimore Oriels v Kansas City Royals in 1989

3) Old stadium in Tampa (now demolished) to watch Tampa Bay Bucs v New Orleans Saints in 1989 - I remember Morten Andersen kicking 60 yard field goals (not exaggerating) in warm-up.

4) New Orleans Superdome for stadium tour (did not see a game) in 1989.

5) Olympic Stadium in Munich to watch Bayern v Chelsea in Champions League - possibly the worst view I have ever had at a big event.

I have also been to Formula 1 Grand Prix at Estoril, Spa, Barcelona and Monza.

As you can see I used to get around quite a bit! Not so much now unfortunately.

Like post
Like this post
11 March 2011 17:11 Post ID: #11402 - in reply to #7679
Expert
I've been to the KC Stadium as I am a season ticket holder. Mainly to see Hull play, but also caught the England U21s a few year ago when Peter Taylor used to be their manager, against Holland U21s.

I was at Wembley to see us promoted against Bristol City a few years ago in the Championship Play-Off Final.

Only recently starting going to away games, Bramall Lane on Boxing Day (which was 3-2 with a certain Jimmy Bullard scoring in injury time ) and The City Ground last weekend when we ended Nottingham Forrest's long home run to extend our away run.

I've seen the Hull youths play against Doncaster youths as I had a friend in the Doncaster side. I've seen the Hull ladies play Middlesbrough ladies too, again watching a friend.

I've also been to Old Trafford and The Nou Camp.

I've see a bit of Rugby League too, the Hull derby between FC and KR, plus also seeing FC play against Wigan, Bradford and Huddersfield - yet to see a defeat for the Hull side (not a supporter, just been to a few games).

I am planning on going to the Champions League Final in May at Wembley, regardless of who is playing just for the experience of a CL Final. I hope to attend more away games in the near future too, begining with QPR at Loftus Road, which I think is in April.
Like post
Like this post
13 March 2011 21:07 Post ID: #11483 - in reply to #7679
Extreme Veteran
I'm at Tynecastle every second week. Seen Hearts play at Stark's Park, East End Park, Pittodrie, Easter Road, New Douglas Park, Tannadice. Been to Ibrox for a Scottish Cup Semi Final in 98 when we beat Falkirk. Been to Hampden three times. Got beat from Celtic and beat Hibs and Gretna.

Been to Ibrox again to see Rangers in the Champions League. Been to Old Trafford to see United play Nantes in 02. Been to Firhill as well to see Hamilton v Raith Rovers when Hamilton ground shared with Partick way back when.

Been to Murrayfield as well. Hearts have played a few European games there and we played Barcelona in a friendly there one year. Also saw Scotland v Italy in the 6 Nations there one year. Probably the most boring 80 minutes of my life. Got stuck in the posh section as the tickets were free from my Mums work.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: