Broadcasting Forum - Commentators Thread Part 4 (Start of 2011/12 Season)
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Frozen
Pages (171): « First ... 163 164 165
167 168 169 Last »
Commentators Thread Part 4 (Start of 2011/12 Season)
[Locked]

08 February 2012 22:27 Post ID: #19319 - in reply to #14669
Elite Veteran
Showing tweets about Capello during the game FFS
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
09 February 2012 00:24 Post ID: #19322 - in reply to #19319
Extreme Veteran
Jamesp84 - 8/2/2012 22:27

Showing tweets about Capello during the game FFS

I thought that was quite disrespectful actually, scrolling Wayne Rooney's tweets over a live game. It was hardly the Queen Mother dying, it should have waited until after the game. Then when we did reach the end they didn't really know what order to discuss anything so it was a bit of Capello, a bit of match analysis and then more Capello chat.

I thought Drury was okay tonight, albeit desperate to use the line "Main man" if the Boro youngster had scored. Keane is excellent value as a pundit, unlike Southgate whose job at the FA meant him sitting on the fence like his life depended on it.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 13:24 Post ID: #19325 - in reply to #19317
Veteran
The Exiled Wanderer - 8/2/2012 20:48
ITV completely ignored the match at half time to further discuss Capello going more. Poor

I don't see what else they could have done, though, it broke almost immediately as they went on air and it was obviously a major, major story. It was like when Keegan returned to Newcastle and the Beeb were showing West Ham vs Man City, but devoted most of half time to Keegan. Albeit then it was a pretty hopeless match. But with a journalist as a presenter and a pundit employed by the FA, it was worth doing. I thought Adrian was very good, I wish he had more chance to do this kind of thing on ITV.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 13:32 Post ID: #19326 - in reply to #19317
Regular

ITV completely ignored the match at half time to further discuss Capello going more. Poor

If you thought that was poor, BBC Radio 5 Live went one "better" - they shoved their commentary of Middlesbrough v Sunderland onto Sports Extra last night in order to discuss Capello, meaning that Sports Extra's scheduled commentary on Hearts v Celtic was ditched entirely.

This is the same station that holds exclusive national radio rights to The FA Cup, which it secured in a deal that the BBC Trust upheld a complaint about the way in which it was negotiated, with them choosing to match the output of the station they outbid for these rights rather than to air the match on analogue radio. Not great.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 13:33 Post ID: #19327 - in reply to #19325
Expert
Steve Williams - 9/2/2012 13:24

I don't see what else they could have done, though, it broke almost immediately as they went on air and it was obviously a major, major story. It was like when Keegan returned to Newcastle and the Beeb were showing West Ham vs Man City, but devoted most of half time to Keegan. Albeit then it was a pretty hopeless match. But with a journalist as a presenter and a pundit employed by the FA, it was worth doing. I thought Adrian was very good, I wish he had more chance to do this kind of thing on ITV.

I have no problem with them discussing Capello for a few moments before the match, and even a bit after, but at times last night it felt as though the game was getting in the way of discussing the England vacancy
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 16:57 Post ID: #19331 - in reply to #19326
Extreme Veteran
The Difference - 9/2/2012 13:32

If you thought that was poor, BBC Radio 5 Live went one "better" - they shoved their commentary of Middlesbrough v Sunderland onto Sports Extra last night in order to discuss Capello, meaning that Sports Extra's scheduled commentary on Hearts v Celtic was ditched entirely.

The problem with ITV was that by the time you add in their two commercial breaks at half time there was hardly time to discuss both Capello and the match at any length. At the end was better but still a bit all over the place, especially given they were largely just repeating what we'd already heard.

5 Live wouldn't have that problem with time so it's quite disappointing that they ditched the game completely, surely 30 minutes of discussion before the game (I believe the news broke about 7.15), a couple of updates on the story during the first half, a good discussion at half time, more updates during the second half then an hour after the game is more than enough, especially as there were virtually no developments in the story throughout the evening.

In both scenarios there were better options for listeners and viewers if they wanted wall-to-wall Capello chat, Sky Sports News and the proper news channels were covering the story all night while I'm sure Talksport would have been concentrating fully on the story (I'm sure The Difference can confirm this) for the whole evening.

I will agree with the comment above that Adrian Chiles did come into his own last night and was probably one of his best ITV outings, although he did keep going on about how there was a month between the end of the PL season and the Euros as if he'd just discovered electricity.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 18:14 Post ID: #19333 - in reply to #19331
Elite Veteran
Personally I thought 5 Live got it spot on. This was a major, major sports story. I followed 5 live's coverage for over 2 hours last night and thought they covered it very well. The FA Cup match was far more minor in comparision in my view.
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 19:49 Post ID: #19336 - in reply to #14669
Expert
Siena v Napoli - ESPN

Commentary from Derek Rae
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 19:54 Post ID: #19337 - in reply to #19331
Regular
Zapp - 9/2/2012 16:57

5 Live wouldn't have that problem with time so it's quite disappointing that they ditched the game completely, surely 30 minutes of discussion before the game (I believe the news broke about 7.15), a couple of updates on the story during the first half, a good discussion at half time, more updates during the second half then an hour after the game is more than enough, especially as there were virtually no developments in the story throughout the evening.

In both scenarios there were better options for listeners and viewers if they wanted wall-to-wall Capello chat, Sky Sports News and the proper news channels were covering the story all night while I'm sure Talksport would have been concentrating fully on the story (I'm sure The Difference can confirm this) for the whole evening.

My thoughts exactly, nice to see that someone shares them on here as my point of view on this one has been met with almost universal disagreement on Digital Spy!

My only real issue with ITV's coverage last night was that they didn't show the goals from Sheffield Wednesday v Blackpool and Southampton v Millwall from the night before. I realise they have time constraints and to devote much of the little time they had to Capello was a sound editorial call, but surely they could have spared 90 seconds or so to fit the eight goals in.

For the record, the news did break around 7.15pm (at least that's when I first heard it on talkSPORT, I've read 5 Live broke the news slightly later) and talkSPORT were covering the story throughout the night (including into Mike Graham's overnight show). It would have been interesting to see what talkSPORT would have done had they had commentary rights to the game, but as mentioned above 5 Live outbid them for FA Cup rights so we can only guess how they would have reacted. Perhaps the most similar editorial call they've had to make came on the day of Gary Speed's death, they opted to do commentary on Swansea v Aston Villa while those details were still coming to light.

Edited by The Difference 9/2/2012 20:00
Like post
Like this post
09 February 2012 21:55 Post ID: #19340 - in reply to #14669
Veteran
Lazio v Cesena (world feed) - Owen Neilson
Like post
Like this post
10 February 2012 20:25 Post ID: #19345 - in reply to #19340
Expert
Looking at Twitter, David Jones will at least be joined by Gary Neville tomorrow for Manchester United Vs Liverpool on Sky.
Like post
Like this post
10 February 2012 20:30 Post ID: #19346 - in reply to #19345
Elite Veteran
Will be intersting to see what Sky do for their Champions League coverage of the Tuesday matches not involving English teams. Will they have their big names in the studio/do any on-site presentation, and will they have any of their big-name commentators doing the games?
Like post
Like this post
10 February 2012 21:30 Post ID: #19348 - in reply to #19345
Expert
CardioCortez - 10/2/2012 20:25

Looking at Twitter, David Jones will at least be joined by Gary Neville tomorrow for Manchester United Vs Liverpool on Sky.

With Jamie Redknapp

Anyone got the Spanish comms for this week?
Like post
Like this post
10 February 2012 23:03 Post ID: #19349 - in reply to #14669
Expert
Simon Thomas has tweeted to say he isn't looking forward to the 478 mile round trip to Bloomfield Road tomorrow.
Like post
Like this post
11 February 2012 11:38 Post ID: #19351 - in reply to #14669
Expert
Robbie Fowler on Soccer Saturday again, has Le Tiss left?
Like post
Like this post
11 February 2012 11:59 Post ID: #19352 - in reply to #14669
Expert
Dunfermline v Rangers - ESPN

Ray Stubbs presenting with Jimmy Calderwood and Mark Hateley

Commentary from Derek Rae and Craig Burley. Darrell Currie reporting
Like post
Like this post
11 February 2012 12:18 Post ID: #19353 - in reply to #19352
Expert
David Jones is with Gary Neville, Darren Fletcher and Jamie Redknapp at Old Trafford on Sky Sports 2, HD2 and 3D for Manchester United Vs Liverpool.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (171): « First ... 163 164 165
167 168 169 Last »
Jump to forum: