Broadcasting Forum - Ireland/Scotland/Wales EURO 2020 Bid
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Vital Football Comment
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Ireland/Scotland/Wales EURO 2020 Bid
15 May 2012 22:39 Post ID: #21695
Extreme Veteran
I read earlier today that Ireland, Scotland and Wales are planning on bidding for EURO 2020 together. Their competitors are Turkey (who have a number of new, nice stadiums) and Georgia (who certainly has no chance).

Turkey has a number of nice stadiums. The Olympic Stadium (Istanbul, 76k), Galatasaray Arena which just opened in 2011 (Istanbul, 52k), Fenerbache's stadium (50k), Kayseri Stadium (32k) and Sanliurfa Stadium (28k) were all but in the past 10 years.

There are also new stadiums opening for Bursaspor (45k) and Trabzonspor (42k) in the next few years. Obviously Turkey already has the infrastructure to host a big tournament. But, they are bidding on the 2020 Summer Olympics and will likely only get one.

Anyway, what I want your (and by your, I mean those with greater knowledge of stadiums in Ireland, Scotland and Wales) opinion on, is do they have a realistic chance of hosting this tournament. The stadiums are there, to a degree.

I've read rumours of Croke Park being used, despite having a larger pitch than is used for football (thus the fans are further away). I know they've used it for rugby, but has it ever been used for football? The Aviva Stadium and Thomond Park (home to Munster) seem to be the other possibilities in Ireland.

Wales has Millennium Stadium (a candidate for the final), as well as Cardiff City Stadium and the Liberty Stadium (which could probably use an expansion anyway if Swansea keep staying up).

Scotland has 3 stadiums in Glasgow. Celtic Park is the biggest, then Hampden Park and Ibrox. All very nice stadiums, but you'd think they'd only want to use two of them. Pittodrie Stadium and Easter Road would probably be okay too, with expansion. Could they use Murrayfield as well?

I've laid out 11 stadiums, 8 of which are usual football stadiums. Two rugby grounds and one GAA ground.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the bid?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
16 May 2012 20:05 Post ID: #21709 - in reply to #21695
Expert
Croke Park was used for the majority of Ireland's games during the Lansdowne Road -> Aviva transformation. Hearts have played European games at Murrayfield in the last few years so both would be fine

Not sure if there's a limit to how many stadia each city can have. If it's two maybe

Cardiff - Millenium Stadium, Cardiff City Stadium
Swansea - Liberty Stadium (would need more seats, but has been mooted if Swansea have a run in the Prem)
Glasgow - Ibroz, Hampden
Edinburgh - Murrayfield
Aberdeen - if they did something to Pittodrie
Dublin - Aviva Stadium
Limerick - Thomond Park

I'd love the Celtic nations to get a tournament though. Easy to get to. Really wanted to go to a game this summer but the cost of getting to Ukraine is prohibitive
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2012 20:28 Post ID: #21710 - in reply to #21709
Extreme Veteran
You're missing Croke Park on the list, but otherwise, I agree. The biggest problem is the big stadiums are all in Cardiff, Glasgow and Dublin.

If it were to happen, I'd strongly consider making the trip across the Atlantic to go to a few matches. And imagine how much they could sell the TV rights to BBC/ITV and RTE for with prior knowledge that those 3 nations would be playing, plus the possibility of England.
Like post
Like this post
16 May 2012 20:55 Post ID: #21711 - in reply to #21710
Expert
Was meant to put down Croke Park, doh!

Should be pointed out that the Euros are currently an A-listed event in the UK (ie they have to be live on FTA channels, as long as the price is reasonable) Same in Ireland but only for selected games, which makes it slightly easier for the likes of BBC and ITV to drive a bargain
Like post
Like this post
18 June 2012 00:24 Post ID: #22257 - in reply to #21695
There are quite a few toher large stadia in Ireland that are used for GAA that could be suitable. This would require the permission of the GAA and most would probably need to undergo some redevelopment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacit...
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: