Broadcasting Forum - 2012 London Olympics Commentators Thread
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
Write for Vital Football
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (3): 1 2
2012 London Olympics Commentators Thread
06 August 2012 01:28 Post ID: #22677 - in reply to #22596
Token Yank
Another fantastic commentary by Steve Cram tonight.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
08 August 2012 02:47 Post ID: #22692 - in reply to #22677
Extreme Veteran
Men's Football semifinal - Mexico v. Japan
Steve Wilson & Mark Lawrenson (I think)

Anyone know who did the second semifinal? It wasn't on Canadian TV. Pierce and someone, I'd guess?

Edited by NB Football Fan 8/8/2012 02:51
Like post
Like this post
08 August 2012 04:10 Post ID: #22694 - in reply to #22692
Extreme Veteran
Guess it was Pearce and Lawrenson as commentators for Korea v. Brazil. Not sure who the co-comm was on Mexico v. Japan then. I see why Lawrenson bothers everyone so much. His voice is quite annoying.
Like post
Like this post
08 August 2012 07:31 Post ID: #22695 - in reply to #22694
It was Mark Bright with Wilson for the first semi final.
Like post
Like this post
08 August 2012 12:21 Post ID: #22697 - in reply to #22677
Expert
SSReporters - 6/8/2012 01:28

Another fantastic commentary by Steve Cram tonight.

I wasn't watching last night as I was at the Brazil v South Korea football semi, but I saw a lot of complaints on Twitter last night about Cram and him effecitively accusing an athlete of doping continuously without any real proof

Personally I think Cram's fairly average. Not awful, but no Paul Dickenson or Stuart Storey. It's a shame Storey's no longer on the BBC
Like post
Like this post
09 August 2012 00:32 Post ID: #22703 - in reply to #22596
Elite Veteran
Peter Drury seemingly glued to his seat in the Aquatics Centre, because he's also doing the diving for OBS 3D.

Another sport to add to his bow.
Like post
Like this post
09 August 2012 17:28 Post ID: #22704 - in reply to #22703
Token Yank
Mark. - 9/8/2012 00:32

Peter Drury seemingly glued to his seat in the Aquatics Centre, because he's also doing the diving for OBS 3D.

Another sport to add to his bow.

He must have been great on the swimming.

"Gold for South Africa. Gold for all Africa!"

Like post
Like this post
12 August 2012 00:10 Post ID: #22715 - in reply to #22704
Expert
Men's football Final - Brazil v Mexico - BBC One

Jake Humphrey presented from the Olympic Park studio with Mark Bright and Robbie Savage
Commentary from Jonathan Pearce and Mark Lawrenson. Garth Crooks was also at Wembley for additional pearls of wisdom

In other news, people loved the opening ceremony so much, that it's been shown on BBC One again next weekend
Like post
Like this post
14 August 2012 22:42 Post ID: #22748 - in reply to #22596
Expert
A few thoughts on the Olympics

Overall, a really good effort by the BBC. The dedicated feeds for every session of every sport were superb and I ended up watching those most of the time. I hope they can sort that out for Rio in 2016

BBC One coverage was very good, my only criticism is sometimes they would be analysin things a bit too much when they could have shown more action. One example was at the veldodrome when BBC was showing Jake Humhrey and co and you could see a race going on in the background. Wasn't keen on the BBC Three 'feel' though, it was though at times they were trying to get down with da kidz and there were constant references to what 'you're saying on Twitter' It adds little.

Presenters were largely great. Lineker grew into it after what I thought was a shaky first night. Humphrey was great although he seemed a bit obsessed with Twitter, but it's a minor criticism. Not sure Mishal Hussain got a role, suppose she was OK but not outstanding

Onto selected individual sports
Archery - Butler and Liz Mynott were really good. Thought it was an easy sport to follow but there were some good nuggets of info in their commentaries

Athletics - Cram's good for the big moments but apparently one night he was effectively accusing someone of doping with no real proof. There is that side of him I'm not keen on. Dickenson is great, as is Phil Jones as the reporter. Colin Jackson I find annoying, he adds nothing and his mannerism just wants me to mute the TV. Jonathan Edwards is great though, preferred his presentation to Inverdale

Badminton - Mercer and Emms were excellent, and fair play to Mercer for ripping into the players who threw their matches

Basketball - Carlson was good although I prefer his work as an analyst. John Amaechi was interesting on the tactical side of things and said it how he thought it is. Solid pair who interacted well

Boxing - Jim Neilly and Richie Woodhall were very good, Lucy O'Connor was a bit 'say what you see.' McIntosh was poor. His commentary doesn't flow, and even though it's live it still seemed scripted. And there was a lot of repetition.

Beach Volleyball - Was too busy looking at the women

Cycling - Boardman excellent just like on ITV's TdF coverage, Porter isn't that great although he wasn't helped on the road races by a shocking HB feed. Leigh and Staff seemed OK

Diving - Ballard was nice and unobstrusive. Taylor was very good at explaining every little nook and cranny

Gymnastics - Quite frankly, they all needed to just shut up once in a while. It was like radio at times

Handball - Paul Bray was good. Explained things clearly and was excitable without being screamy

Swimming - Moorhouse and Jameson are great. Solid, get on well and inject a bit of excitement. Ian Thorpe was good once he got his customary 'Look' at the start of every sentence
Like post
Like this post
Pages (3): 1 2
Jump to forum: