Broadcasting Forum - Commentators Thread
Vital Football

Football Broadcasting News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Jump to forum:
Frozen
Pages (188): « First ... 183 184 185
187 188 Last »
Commentators Thread
[Locked]

17 October 2010 18:32 Post ID: #5492 - in reply to #1008
Veteran
I thought Jones was good on Fr night. Poor penalty calls but the weather was awful and his view would have been poor. Lots of excitement.

Hawthorne and Smith for me were excellent today.

Saw Matterface at Godinson pre-match when they were showing some of the local radio commentators.

Tyler and Gray made a few slips (Man Utd not Man City said) and a couple of similar instances but all round were very good.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
17 October 2010 18:34 Post ID: #5493 - in reply to #5492
Expert
Mark Bolton and Michael Reiziger in the studio for Sky's La Liga again tonight

Athletic v Zaragoza - Commentary from Kevin Keatings and Terry Gibson
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 18:50 Post ID: #5494 - in reply to #5492
Elite Veteran
loyalsince - 17/10/2010 18:32
Tyler and Gray made a few slips (Man Utd not Man City said)

"city, Manchester city, ...nobody knows their name"

Petty I know, but it's always amusing when that happens
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 19:21 Post ID: #5496 - in reply to #1008
Expert
I thought Tyler and Gray were excellent today, and apart from those few probably over excited slips, they were faultless. You could tell they wanted a Blackpool goal and they did nearly get it a few times, but the game really shook up when Tevez stepped up (or stepped off).

It felt like a cup tie today, the under-dog vs the megamoneys and the commentary was very good. Only down side to Sky's coverage would be the addition of a second pundit for the second game having dropped down to just Redknapp.

Hawthorne and Smith excellent earlier too on the Derby and Smith has really excelled this season. I presume Parry tomorrow, alongside Yorke?
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 19:25 Post ID: #5497 - in reply to #5496
Elite Veteran
CardioCortez - 17/10/2010 19:21

I presume Parry tomorrow, alongside Yorke?

More than likely Parry. No idea about Yorke, I'm hoping it was a one-off, as he was dire.
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 20:02 Post ID: #5499 - in reply to #5497
Expert
Sporting v Sevilla

Commentators: Rob Palmer and Gerry Armstrong
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 22:08 Post ID: #5504 - in reply to #5499
Expert
Guy Mowbray was at Goodison for MOTD.
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 22:46 Post ID: #5505 - in reply to #1008
Veteran
Apparently Dean Windass is coming out of retirement to play for Scarborough Athletic. Not sure if it's a joke or not though (the news I mean, he of course IS a joke).
Like post
Like this post
17 October 2010 22:48 Post ID: #5506 - in reply to #5505
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 13:31 Post ID: #5510 - in reply to #5459
Regular
SSReporters - 17/10/2010 00:31

mikey1980 - 16/10/2010 16:16

Mark. - 17/10/2010 00:03

Yes, that's what I meant; the strangeness is due to BBC Scotland using McLeod and not MOTD not.

I was about to say I hoped that clarified things, but reading it back it probably doesn't!

It's just a strange situation all-round... Maclean is the best Scottish commentator around (in my humble opinion), so I was suprised that, upon the collapse of Setanta, he didn't come back to his old position. But having stuck with Mitchell, I saw no reason for change, as Mitchell is pretty good.

What are your thoughts on Derek Rae? I rate him very highly and he's Scottish.

I'd forgotten about Rae- yes, I rate him highly too. Perhaps I should have re-phrased what I said to: "Of the commentators available to BBC Scotland, Maclean is the best commentator around". I hope we get to hear Rae on some FA Cup matches this season..
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:03 Post ID: #5513 - in reply to #5510
Expert
Richard Keys presenting coverage of Blackburn v Sunderland on Sky Sports HD1/1 with Andy Gray.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:10 Post ID: #5514 - in reply to #1008
Veteran
With co-commentator... Kevin Phillips!
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:10 Post ID: #5515 - in reply to #5513
Extreme Veteran
Kevin Phillips commentating on tonight's game. I guess in the same way they use a pundit with history from one or both of the clubs on Saturday Football Specials, they will now use a co-commentator with history from one pr both of the clubs.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:12 Post ID: #5516 - in reply to #5513
Expert
Kevin Phillips is the co-com tonight. After Dwight Yorke on the last Monday Night Football - it seems Sky are using former Premier League footballers as the co-coms for these games. Hopefully they bring Smith back for the bigger games in December though.

Let's see how Phillip's does compared to Yorke last time - also this makes the competition more interesting
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:19 Post ID: #5517 - in reply to #1008
Elite Veteran
I think this is poor from Sky.

MNF as a programme is fantastic with the studio bits but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that the actual match is important as well. With the likes of Alan Smith, Davie Provan, Don Goodman and Tony Gale (amongst others) available, Sky should have enough quality without bringing in individuals who have no real commentary experience.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:26 Post ID: #5518 - in reply to #1008
Expert
I think it's a good idea for Sky to do this on the 'lesser' MNF games. They obviously feel the studio analysis will be strong enough to cover whatever the selected co-com may miss - which is definately the case. It's a chance for them to look for new co-coms for the future since being a name certainly counts.

As for the analyis on the offsides. Sky have just torn the BBC to shreds. Particulary the Tottenham goal against Fulham - Alan Shearer checked the laws of the game and still got the wrong decision for whether it should stand or not - Andy Gray has just brushed it aside, explaining his decision within seconds. With that, he then went on to discuss all the talking points of the weekend, comfortable assessing each. You don't get this on Match of the Day - the analysis is completely below par to MNF/Last Word.
Like post
Like this post
18 October 2010 19:32 Post ID: #5519 - in reply to #1008
Elite Veteran
Could you elaborate on some of Andy Gray's analysis, particularly regarding the Tottenham goal on Saturday?

For the record, I thought that Alan Shearer's analysis on Saturday of that incident was insightful and informative.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (188): « First ... 183 184 185
187 188 Last »
Jump to forum: